The extension is the letters shown at the end of the file's name, such as.avi.wmv, or.mkv. Learn more QuickTime Player (version 10.0 and later) in OS X Mavericks through macOS Mojave converts legacy media files that use certain older or third-party compression formats. A very easy & simple way to convert.avi files(or any file) to be able to watch on your Mac computer or other devices. A very easy & simple way to convert.avi files(or any file) to be able to.
- Aiseesoft Free AVI Player for Mac can easily help you enjoy AVI files as well as any other popular videos including MP4/MKV/MOV/WMV/FLV videos on Mac.Meanwhile, it also can play 1080P/1080i/720P videos, and support most 4K/HD video formats.
- AVI player for Mac can act as a free 4K/8K/HD video player. It enables you to play 4K/8K videos and HD videos, including 1080p/1080i/720p videos smoothly on wide screen. Most of the 4K/HD video formats are highly supported, such as MP4, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, H.265/HEVC, TS, MKV, AVI, MOV, FLV and WebM.
- Apple's new Mac system is about to release this fall. It offers you a completely new experience with your Mac and iOS devices and more powerful built-in apps. However, when it comes to playing AVI on the latest OS X Mojave, you will get stuck for the new Mac system that doesn't support playing AVI files.
Learn how to play AVI video files on Mac OS X through this guide. This tutorial guides you on how to play AVI files on Mac media supported media players. Continue reading..!
How to Play AVI File on Mac?
- Go to Finder and select the AVI file
- Drag it onto the QuickTime Player icon
- Open Mac dock
- Launch QuickTime Player
- Go to menu
- Click on New Finder Window
- Browse the location of AVI file
- Double-click on the AVI video
This is what a typical Mac user do, to play a AVI file on Mac. But, we can’t ensure that this method always works in playing AVI files on Mac. Since QuickTime only plays native AVI files with MJPEG video.
So, when you want to play a AVI file on Mac and QuickTime fails to play the AVI video, then you can employ below techniques.
View Avi Files On Mac
1. VLC Player: VLC is an effective AVI player for Mac. It the easiest and free-way of playing AVI file on Mac. So, you must give it a try.
- Download VLC player on your Mac
- Install it using its .dmg file
- Select the AVI file, which you want to play
- Right-click on it and opt Info
- Choose Open with and select VLC from list
How To View .avi Files On Macbook Pro
2. Old QuickTime Edition: If you have the latest version of QuickTime and it fails to play any AVI file present on your Mac then go for an older version of QuickTime and try to play your videos. (QuickTime 7 plays AVI videos without any additional plug-ins or codecs)
3. Convert AVI to QuickTime video: Convert your AVI files into QuickTime videos and then play them. To convert AVI into QuickTime compatible file format,
- Launch QuickTime player
- Use export to QuickTime option in the file menu
- Browse and select the AVI file
- Ensure that destination file format is MOV
- Finish the process
You can also make use of an efficient video converter tool to convert the AVI file.
View Avi On Mac
4. Use Perian Plugin: Perian is an open-source QuickTime element, which allows you to play different video formats that you are unable to play on your Mac. If you are using QuickTime as your prime player, then you can download Perian because it offers necessary codecs that help you to play AVI files on Mac.
5. Third Party AVI Players: If none of the above methods help you to play AVI files on Mac then use third party media players, which are available online.
If your AVI file fails to play even in third party AVI players, then it seems the file is corrupted. So, first your repair AVI file on Mac and then try to play it using any of the above methods.