If the codecs (i.e. Xvid, DivX, mpeg-4, wmv8.) used to create the original AVI files are not proprietary and you don't want to install many of different codec packages on your computer, then the easiest way to get.avi format playable in QuickTime on Mac platform is convert AVI file into a format that's QuickTime accepts—MOV for example, with video conversion utility. AVI is one of the most used formats for videos, especially online. To enjoy using AVI files, you need to know which player(s) to use. This is the purpose of this article: to recommend to you AVI players and how to play AVI files on Mac and Windows.
- Read Avi File On Mac
- How Do I Play Avi Files On My Mac
- How To Read Avi Files On Mac
- How Can I View Avi Files On My Mac
- Can Mac Read Avi Files
How to Play AVI File on VLC Mac?
When I open the project file from the Windows machine on the Mac, it doesn't recognize the.avi files. It isn't the end of the world, as I most likely will do all my editing on the Windows machine, but it would be really nice to be able to access the footage on the Mac as well without having to transcode it all. Apparently QuickTime never natively played AVI files, and using Perian is what allowed me to play them before. But Perian hasn't been updated for Mavericks support (it hasn't been updated in years), so now the files aren't playing. Actually, the AVI file container was and still is QT compatible under Mavericks. Ways to play AVI on Kindle Fire. Since it’s an Ebook reader, Kindle Fire has many limits to play videos, especial for AVI files, which have various codecs inside. Like any other mobile devices, users can choose to download a powerful video player app to play AVI files or convert AVI to other suitable formats.
Audio Video Interleave is the full form of AVI which is one of the frequently utilized video formats. It contains both audio, video streams and give high quality video clipping for its users. Apart from this, it provides advanced features like video menu options, automatic scanning and so on. AVI files support most of the media players like VLC etc. on Mac systems. Sometimes, due to unexpected scenarios as mentioned below AVI file will not play on VLC Mac.
Let us discuss some of the scenarios that are responsible for AVI files corruption on VLC Mac:
- Virus Attack – Viruses have many sources through which they can enter your AVI files on VLC Mac like when it is exposed to internet, infected devices, unsecured data and so on. These viruses self replicates themselves and spread across AVI files as a result AVI files not playing on VLC Mac
- Hard Drive Corruption – When the storage place i.e. hard drive where AVI files get saved on Mac system is corrupted due to bad sectors, software clashes etc. Hence, the data available on it includingAVI file can’t play on VLC Mac
- Interruptions during transfer process – While transferring AVI files from VLC Mac system to other devices, if there occurs any interruptions like power surge, sudden system termination and so on then AVI file cannot play on VLC Mac
- Other Reasons – Unauthorized third party utilities, hardware conflicts,increased number of bad sectors, inappropriate multimedia players, partial download process etc. are other prominent reasons due to which AVI file unable to play on VLC Mac
After facing the above mentioned scenarios regarding AVI files on VLC Mac, you might be little upset. Don’t worry!!!TO overcome such issues in simple way experts have come up with brilliant software known as Remo Repair Mac for fixing AVI file not playing on VLC Mac.
Why Remo Repair AVI?
- Non damaging – This is one such tool that will not modify vital data during scanning process instead creates new file for storing extracted information
- Virus Free – This is software is scanned using cutting edge antivirus software so it is completely free from all kinds of malware infections
- Compatible – Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks
- Technical Support – 24*7 technical team will be available to solve any kind of interruptions that takes place repairing process, installation etc
Other features of Remo Repair AVI…!!!
- Remo Repair AVI is designed with simple user interface and powerful algorithms using which repairing process will be ease to all kinds of users
- It has the ability to fix corrupted, damaged, infected AVI, DIVX, XVID files in few simple steps
- Facilitates an option called Preview to view all the AVI files before saving them in specified destination
- Demo version can be utilized by users in advance to check the adequacy of tool prior purchasing it
Tips to keep in mind:
- Regularly have a copy of important AVI files in any external storage drive or device as a backup
- Connect Mac system to UPS without fail
- Utilize authorized antivirus software for scanning process
- Do not play AVI files on incompatible multimedia players
Steps to fix AVI File not Playing on VLC Mac :
Step 1: Download Remo Repair application and install the same to your Mac computer. Run the installed software and follow the main screen steps. Browse and choose your AVI video that is to be repaired and click on “Repair” option to start the repair process.
Figure A: Main Screen
Step 2: After repair completion, the software displays the fixed AVI video file along with its description. You can also preview the fixed file using “Preview repaired file” option.
Figure B: Preview Repaired File
Step 3: Then, finally save your repaired AVI video using “Save repaired file” option.
Figure C: Save Repaired File
Playing AVI and DivX files
This chapter from our book Troubleshooting Mac® OS X discusses why some Audio Video Interleaved (AVI) multimedia files do not play in QuickTime and provides methods for playing AVIs on Mac OS X.
There has been confusion over AVI files since QuickTime® added support for such. AVI is a media container very similar to QuickTime, but with a unique data format. AVI was originally called Video for Windows® (VFW) and QuickTime supports the VFW format.
However, most, if not all AVI playback issues arise with movies that have been compressed using CODECs (Compressor - Decompressor) that are unavailable for QuickTime in Mac OS X. In particular, the Indeo® CODEC, popular for video compression on PCs, has not been ported to Mac OS X.
To further confuse the issue, many DivX®-encoded files carry the .avi extension. QuickTime does not include native DivX support, even though QuickTime 6 and later support the ISO Standard MPEG-4 media compression format and DivX is based on the MPEG-4 standard.
QuickTime X and AVIs
Under Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard®, QuickTime Player — aka QuickTime X — does not support third-party components, i.e. QuickTime plug-ins. Nevertheless, Snow Leopard includes QuickTime Player 7 as an optional install: QuickTime X will invoke QuickTime Player 7 to play videos supported by the latter or by QuickTime Player 7 components.
If you have an existing QuickTime Pro key, QuickTime Player 7 is installed automatically and Pro functionality is available in QuickTime Player 7. If you elect not to install QuickTime Player 7, it can be installed later. Likewise, if you attempt to open a media file that requires QuickTime Player 7, you are offered the opportunity to install it. QuickTime Player 7 is installed in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder.
Playing AVIs on Mac OS X
We have found that the following four methods will enable viewing most AVI files that do not play in QuickTime. While none of these methods are foolproof and some AVI files still refuse to play, one of these methods will usually work.
Probably the easiest way to play AVI and DivX files on Mac OS X is to download and install the freeware VLC Media Player for OS X. VLC is also often referred to by its original name, VideoLAN Client.
Perian is an excellent, free, and open source QuickTime component.
Install the 3ivx® D4 CODEC
Download and install the 3ivx MPEG-4 CODEC per the installation instructions in the associated ReadMe file. This CODEC adds support for a variety of DivX and other formats which often carry the .avi extension.
Convert AVIs to QuickTime movies
If all else fails and you are running Mac OS X 10.6 or earlier, it may be possibles to convert the .avi files to QuickTime .mov files using tools from 3ivx.
You will need...
- QuickTime 6 or later.
- 3ivx MPEG-4 CODEC.
- 3ivx DivX Doctor II.
Read Avi File On Mac
How Do I Play Avi Files On My Mac
- Download and install 3ivx MPEG-4 CODEC per the installation instructions in the ReadMe file.
- Download and install 3ivx DivX Doctor II, again per its included instructions. Note that the installation instructions specify numerous additional downloads you can get, but we have found them unnecessary in Mac OS X 10.2 or later.
- Drag and drop .avi files onto DivX Doctor II. They will be converted into .mov files and stored on your hard drive at the location you specify.
- While some .avi files fail to convert — again, none of these methods are foolproof — the resulting .mov files generally play flawlessly in QuickTime. This method may also fix problems with the soundtrack on AVIs that do not play properly using only the DivX for Mac CODEC.
Try the DivX for Mac CODEC
How To Read Avi Files On Mac
Many AVIs can be played in QuickTime by installing the freeware DivX for Mac CODEC. While this plug-in has been continuously improved, the sound in some AVIs will sometimes be either missing or distorted. 
How Can I View Avi Files On My Mac
- VideoHelp is an excellent site offering a plethora of information on video formats.
Can Mac Read Avi Files
 Both the 3ivx D4 and DivX for Mac CODECs must be installed in the Macintosh HD > Library > QuickTime folder. However, both CODECs can not be in this folder simultaneously and work with QuickTime as they conflict. If you decide to keep both CODECs , you must temporarily disable one while using the other. To do this:
- Quit QuickTime Player.
- Open the Macintosh HD > Library > QuickTime folder.
- Move — click and drag while pressing the Command key — the CODEC you do not want to use to a temporary folder or to your Desktop.
- Open QuickTime Player.